The best way to control bed bugs is to prevent them from entering your home.
- Inspect second hand furniture, beds, and couches for signs of bed bug infestation before bringing them home.
- Enclose mattresses and box springs in covers labeled “allergen rated,” “for dust mites,” or “for bed bugs.” Periodically check for rips or openings and tape these up.
- Reduce clutter in your home to reduce hiding places for bed bugs.
- Repair cracks in plaster, repair or remove any loose wallpaper, and tighten light switch covers.
- Apply caulk to seal crevices and joints in baseboards and gaps on shelves or cabinets.